United Flying Club
San Carlos CA
Club History
a Brief Club History...

In 1947, at Bay Meadows Airport, 10 United employees formed a flying club
with a 1946 Luscombe.  It formally became the United Flying Club, non-profit mutual benefit cooperative, on July 21,1947.

Lou Wagner, a veteran Civilian Pilot Training Flight Instructor during WWII who soloed over 3000 pilots, was the first Club Instructor. 

 

In 1953 the growing club relocated to the San Carlos Airport on the west side of the field.

 

In 1955 a wind storm damaged the hangars and the Club TriPacer and Cessna 140. The aircraft were restored by the members and moved to hangars on the east side of the field where the hangars are located today.

 

The original memberships were limited to employees of United Airlines.  Membership was eventually opened to furloughed United employees, United retirees, and immediate family members.

Gene Walter, Club Historian
gene@unitedflyingclub.org

 




Website Builder